Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Personal Wellness - Jan

http://www.dietwords.com/muscle_mass.shtml

Found this to be a good reading. I had weighted myself on the scale on Tuesday. While I lost abt 1kg++ from last month, I found that my body fat is increasing. Two months ago, I was weighted at 2kg heavier, but I had a much lower body fat percentage. (You see, I had been skipping dinner..well maybe not, but I just ate whatever's available. Too lazy to cook when you are back at home so late in the night..hehehe).

So I googled.

It seems that as you put yourself on a diet, you may lose some of your muscle mass as well as your body fat. You may find yourself at a plateau eventually where you will not lose any more weight even as you continue your dieting. This is due to a drop in your metabolic rate.

So the article was saying that to reduce body fat effectively, you need to support, maintain and build lean muscle mass by incorporating these 3 things:

1. protein - muscle is build by protein
2. calcium - maintains muscle
3. strength training - pick up those weights!

Note: Muscle mass increases the rate at which your body requires calories by burning body fat i.e your metabolic rate. So you look slimmer even if you actually weighs the same.

No comments: